Loyola University Chicago

- Navigation -

Loyola University Chicago

Study Abroad


Study abroad can be an enriching, life-changing experience, and we at Loyola's Office for International Programs are excited to have a part in providing this opportunity for hundreds of students each year. This page provides information for parents about the Loyola study abroad experience. 

Please know that the well-being, safety and security of our students is the highest priority for Loyola. Our programs aim to provide an inspiring and meaningful educational experience for our overseas students.

We hope you find the information at the following links to be helpful. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions and concerns.

Health and Safety

While we expect that each student’s study abroad experience will be free of any health or safety crisis, Loyola would like to provide parents with important information about these issues. 


Loyola’s Office for International Programs puts the health and safety of our study abroad students as its top priority.  We carefully monitor global situations that might affect your child’s safety abroad, selecting and reviewing our program sites accordingly.  When it comes to health and safety issues, Loyola adheres to an approach of “shared responsibility,” meaning that responsibility for each program participant’s safety is shared by several people.  Each study abroad student will ultimately carry most of the responsibility for his/her behavior, but Loyola recognizes that parents, guardians and families can play a significant role regarding the health and safety of their children during their study abroad experiences by helping them make decisions and influencing their behavior overseas.  We’d also like to do our part by sharing the same health and safety information with you that we provide for your son or daughter—both on our health and safety web page and at a pre-departure orientation that your son or daughter should attend. Finally, Loyola provides OIP study abroad students with a wallet-size “Emergency Contact Card,” which they will be instructed to carry with them at all times.  This card will contain contact information for Loyola and for the student’s school or program provider abroad.


Parents commonly ask us about the items on the following list.  We hope that you will take the time to read our health and safety web page, where you will find important information on the items listed below as well as several others.

-Required Medical Insurance

-International Student Identity Card

-Emergency Cards for Students

-Health-Related Preparations for Travel



-Medical Treatment Abroad

-Helpful Web Sites

-General Health Tips and Precautions

-General Safety Tips and Precautions 


Calling or Visiting Your Student Abroad


It is best to talk with your son or daughter about how you will communicate with them while overseas. Students can check with their current phone provider to see about adding an international calling plan. Many students also consider buying or renting a cell phone once they get to their destination. In many countries students can purchase very affordable cell phones that have pay as you go plans. You also might look into calling card options. Another great resource is Skype. Many students nowadays are talking with their families while abroad via Skype computer or phone services.  



You and your son/daughter may wish to discuss prior to their departure whether or not you might visit them during their time abroad.  Our recommendation is that you visit after the program has ended, before the student returns home.  This way, your trip will be best enjoyed without any added pressures your child may face in school. They are better equipped to show you around their host country/city once they have completed their program and have a good sense and familiarity with their surroundings and the local language.  In addition, students abroad often find themselves going through dramatic levels of personal growth and change while adapting to a new culture.  Although you may have the best intentions not to interfere with the child’s life in their new environment abroad, and your son/daughter strongly wishes for you to visit, there is a possibility that your visit may interrupt that vital process and/or reset the progress they’ve made in adapting to their new surroundings.  The Office for International Programs would be happy to speak with you further if you’d like advice about whether to visit your son/daughter abroad.


Passports and Visas


A passport is the most important document students will have while traveling abroad.  A passport identifies citizenship and is required in order to enter and return from almost every country in the world. If your child already owns a passport, check that it will be valid for the duration of their stay.  Passports must be valid for at least 180 days beyond the end date of the program. If they do not already have one, apply for a passport early; the process could take 6 weeks. You can download passport applications and get answers to most general questions on the U.S. State Department's web site

More detailed information regarding the passport application process is found on our passports page.



The student must determine whether or not they need a visa by either visiting the consular web-site of their host country or getting information from the Office for International ProgramsIf a visa is required for their program, they should apply early.  However, the student must first have a passport before they can apply for a visa.  To obtain a list of all the countries that require U.S. citizens to have a visa, go to http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country.html.  


Useful Passport/Visa websites and resources:


Financial FAQs



What payments does my son or daughter need to make at the time of application to a study abroad program?

All programs have a non-refundable application fee of $100. Students pay this by credit card when they complete the Loyola Study Abroad Application online. Students on Loyola Center or Faculty-led programs have to submit an Intent to Enroll form, which confirms their spot on a program. They have three weeks to submit it after acceptance. The form has a cancellation fees calendar for students' reference. 




How does billing work for study abroad students?

Loyola will bill students for the tuition of their programs, housing (for some programs), CISI health insurance, any optional tours the student has signed up for, and the study abroad or Office for International Program (OIP) fee (fee link) associated with the program. Bills will normally be sent out in mid July for fall program, mid December for spring programs, and mid May for summer programs. If you have any questions about items that appear of your child’s bill, please contact the Office for International Programs (773-508-7706).




Do we pay Loyola tuition or the program’s tuition?

It depends on which program your son or daughter has selected. Those students attending exchange programs will pay Loyola tuition. All students attending the Rome Center, Beijing Center, Vietnam Center, or USAC,IES, SIT or affiliate programs pay the outlined program costs, which differ from Loyola tuition and fees. Housing charges always differ from Loyola on-campus amounts. For more detail information about program costs, please visit the following link http://www.luc.edu/studyabroad/list.shtml and click on your son or daughter’s program of interest. 


What are the study abroad costs besides tuition?

Other than tuition, study abroad costs include: on-site housing, meals, OIP fee, mandatory international health insurance, tours, and additional fees associated with particular courses, such as field studies, roundtrip airfare, local transportation, textbooks, consular fees, personal expenses.   


What is the Study Abroad fee and how much is it per program?

The study abroad fee, also know as the Office for International Programs (OIP) fee, is a charge for students attending Loyola approved study abroad programs. The fee covers the university administrative costs for sending students overseas. The fee varies depending on the program type. Exchange, IES, SIT, and USAC programs have a fee of $1000 per semester and $500 per summer; full year students on these programs will only be charge one fee of $1000. Loyola Center, Faculty-led Programs, and Affiliate programs have a fee of $100 for both semester and summer programs, which is paid at the time of application. If you are unsure what type of program your son or daughter is attending, please visit the types of program page (link).


Are there any programs where Loyola scholarships and grants apply?

Yes, there are a number of study abroad programs where Loyola scholarships and grants apply. To find out more about the transfer financial aid, please visit the financial information page (link). There are also a number of additional sources of aid that we suggest students look into to fund their studies abroad, a list of these can be found under the scholarships link on the financial information page (link).




What happens if my son or daughter decides to withdraw from his or her program? Is the money refunded? 

If your son or daughter withdraws before the start of his or her program, there is a good chance that a percentage of the program costs will be refundable. If a student is more than a few weeks into a program and decides to withdraw, then the recoverable refund amount drops significantly.




How should my son or daughter plan to handle money prior to and at the beginning of their program abroad?

Students should try to have some local currency with them when they first arrive. Most airports have currency exchange centers or ATMs. It is wise for students to have enough money to cover expenses for their first week or two abroad. Students may also want to do research on the host country’s banking customs, talk to returnees, carefully read pre-departure literature about their particular program, and also contact their credit card company or bank to check on the availability and locations of ATM’s in the city where they will be studying.


How much spending money will my son or daughter need while abroad?

This will depend on your son or daughter’s spending and travel habits. It is a good idea to talk with your son or daughter prior to their program about establishing a travel and spending budget while abroad. In International Programs we have financial information sheets, which are based on estimated expenses for housing, food, travel to the host site, local transportation, and personal expenses including some entertainment. These, however, do not account for travel during weekends and breaks. Students are encouraged to use site-specific resources to ascertain estimated expenses and to contact returnee students.


Is it best to open a bank account while abroad?

The answer to this question is that it really does depend on the location where the student is studying abroad and the length of the program. Opening an account is sometimes recommended if the student is going to study abroad for a full year, as he or she will be able to avoid ATM fees if they enlist at a local bank. However, in most cases if students have credit/debit cards that are linked to their US accounts that should be sufficient. Also, it is recommended that your son or daughter contact notify their bank of their plans to be abroad.


What are the different ways students can handle or obtain money while abroad?

Here are a few examples of the ways in which students may decide to access or obtain money while abroad:




What is power of attorney and why is it worth considering?

Power of attorney is important to consider before your son or daughter goes abroad. The office for International Programs suggests that students who are studying abroad select a trusted parent or other person to receive Power of Attorney to take care of unanticipated financial and personal affairs while they are out of the country. A student with financial aid through the Loyola may require the assistance of their Attorney-in-Fact to deal with issues such as completing financial aid paperwork or deposit of financial aid checks. Any student may require assistance with banking, insurance transactions, or another legal matter.



Where is the easiest place to find exchange rates?

Each week the travel section in your local newspaper should have a section on current exchange rates. You can also check the following web sites, which provide currency converter applications, they are:

http://www.xe.com/ict  (For exchange rates)

http://www.xe.com/ucc/  (For currency conversion)

http://www.oanda.com/converter/classic  (For help translating US dollar amounts into the currency in your host country; see

especially the “Cheat Sheet”)



Office for International Programs · Sullivan Center, 6339 N. Sheridan Rd, Chicago, IL 60660
Mailing Address: 1032 W. Sheridan Road, Chicago, IL 60660
773.508.7706 · studyabroad@luc.edu

Notice of Non-discriminatory Policy